The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana, in short PMKY, is a central sector scheme as part of the government’s effort to provide direct income support to small and marginal farmers financed by the union government. The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana is India’s first-ever program to provide direct income support to poor farmers.
Under this scheme, all farmers who claim to be below the poverty line will be given financial assistance in the form of an annually recurring income that they can draw at will and in any month of their choice.
Objectives of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana
● The Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana (PM-KISAN) is a national insurance scheme aiming to provide farmers with financial assistance.
● The PM-KISAN Scheme is a comprehensive insurance scheme that covers all types of agriculture-related risks, such as drought, floods, hailstorms, windstorms, and other natural calamities occurring in different parts of India.
● The policy covers 100% of income from agriculture up to Rs. 60000/- per annum for individuals and Rs. 15000/- per annum for married couples.
Benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana
Some of the key benefits of the scheme are mentioned below:
1. Income support:
● The primary benefit of the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana is the minimum income support it provides to the farmers.
● Every eligible farmer family will receive Rs. 6000 annually across India. However, the amount is not given at once.
● It is divided into three equal instalments and metered four months apart. Hence, each farmer receives Rs. 2000 every four months, and the farmer can use this amount any way the farmer wants, as there is no guideline regarding how they should use the money.
2. Identification responsibility:
● While the responsibility of funding lies with the Government of India, identifying the beneficiaries is the State and Union Territory Governments’ duty.
● These governments shall identify which farmer families are eligible to avail of the scheme’s benefits.
Eligibility for the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana
The eligibility criteria are an essential factor for a scheme like this:
● For the scheme, small and marginal farmers are eligible.
● Families of farmers who own arable land are eligible to qualify for the advantages of this scheme.
● The beneficiary should be an Indian citizen.
However, the guidelines of the scheme also exclude specific categories from the beneficiary list, such as:
● Any institutional landholder is not eligible for this scheme.
● People who currently or formerly held a constitutional post.
● Both current and previous national and state government ministers.
● Members of the Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha, both current and past.
● Present or a former mayor of ant municipal corporation.
● The person who served as an officer or employee in any central or state public sector and autonomous bodies under the government.
● Any individual who filed income tax in the previous Assessment year.
● Persons who have retired and get a pension of Rs. 10,000 or more every month aren’t eligible.
● Families with professionals like doctors, engineers, chartered accountants, lawyers, and architects professionally involved in respective fields are also excluded from the scheme.
What are the documents required for the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana scheme?
● Aadhar card
● Bank account Passbook ( linked with your aadhar card)
● Cast certificate
● Original land holdings paper
● Residential certificate
● Mobile number
How to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana?
● If you are interested in applying under this scheme, then visit your local revenue officer (patwari) or a nodal officer (nominated by the state government) or Common Service Centres (CSCs) with the documents mentioned above and register under this scheme.
● Or if you want to do self-registration, then visit its official website https://pmkisan.gov.in
● On the homepage, you will find an option “New Farmer Registration” click on that option, and your registration form page will be opened.
● You can select your prefered language here. On the top right side of the page will find the option for “Select Language”. Besides it, there is a place where “English” is written. Click on that English tab and scroll down to select your preferred language, and now you shall view the website in your preferred language.
● On the Left side of the page, you will find two options “Rural Farmer registration” and “Urban Farmer Registration”. If you are from a Rural area, select the “Rural
Farmer registration” option, and if you are from an urban area, select “Urban Farmer Registration”.
● Before Registering under the scheme, your aadhar card will be authenticated with UIDAI. For that, you need to type your aadhar number and mobile number to the respective space given below it.
● Now select the option “Select State”, scroll down and select the state where you live.
● After that, enter the Image code you will see just below it and select the option Get OTP.
● Your registered mobile number will receive an OTP. Type this OTP and click the “verify aadhar OTP” option, and your aadhar authentication will be completed. You will be redirected to a page where you must fill in your details to register under this scheme.
● On the page, you will find that your name, gender, and state are already filled automatically through aadhar. You need to fill in other details like farmer category, caste, address, Land registration Id, etc.
● After filling up those personal details, you will find two options, “single” or “joint”, if your land is in your ownership; only then select the “single” option. If your land has ownership other than yours, i.e. joint ownership, then select the “joint” option.
● Now, just below this option on the right side, you will find the “add” option. Click on that option.
● Here, you have to add details about your land such as survey number, Dag /Khasra Number, Area (these details you can find in your land registration paper), land transfer details, and land transfer status. Here you’ll have to fill in how the land was transferred into your name and when it was transferred.
● Now select add this land details will be saved, and if you have any other land, you may again select add option and fill up the details.
● Next, you need to upload scan copy of the land registration paper and your Aadhar card and click on the option “save”, and you will complete your registration.
● Remember to take print of the registration form for future reference.
● Now, your details will be verified to check your eligibility condition by the respective departments, and this process may take 15 to 30 working days. It varies from state to state.
How to check the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana?
● You need to visit the official website of PMKY (pmkisan.gov.in)
● After that, scroll down to the farmer’s corner.
● You must click on the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Yojana Beneficiary link option.
● A new page will open. Then choose the PM Kisan Installment status through your documents.
● Then, you need to click on the GET DATA, and your instalment status will appear. Conclusion
In conclusion, our findings show that the Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PMN-N) is an effective program that has helped to improve the lives of farmers in India. It is due to its focus on providing direct financial support to small farmers, which allows them to invest in equipment and other resource-intensive activities necessary for their success.
The program also provides information about the best methods for farming and crop production and access to technical services such as irrigation systems and fertilizers.