The Department of Pharmaceuticals under the Government of India launched the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana campaign. In short, it is known as PMBJP. The Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana scheme was initially established by the United Progressive Alliance(UPA) government in 2008. Under this scheme, the sales of generic medicines were made via exclusive medicine outlets known as “Jan Aushadhi Medical Store” to cut down an individual’s expenses in healthcare.
Later the “Jan Aushadhi Scheme” was re-launched by our respected Prime Minister of India, Mr Narendra Modi, in 2015 as the “Pradhan Mantri Jan Aushadhi Yojana”. And to provide further momentum to it, later on, in November 2016, this scheme was again renamed the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana.
What is the purpose of Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana?
The primary purpose of this scheme was to make good quality medicines and provide them to the people of India at an affordable rate. The Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana scheme primarily targets the disadvantaged and poor communities of the nation.
The Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana scheme also wants to provide people with every standard generic drug, covering every therapeutic group and all the necessary healthcare-related products. The scheme also aims to create awareness via awareness programs and education that a high price always doesn’t mean that the product comes with high quality. Creating a demand for generic medicines via medical practitioners is also one of its motives.
Mission and Vision of Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana
The primary mission of the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana scheme is:
● To create awareness among the people about medicines.
● To create demand among the people for medicines through medical practices.
● To create awareness through education and programs that the high price of medicines need not be equal to high quality.
● To provide all the commonly used medicines to all the necessary people.
● To provide facilities related to health care that fall under this scheme.
The vision of the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana scheme is to bring down the budget for health care so that every citizen of this country can afford medicines for their needs.
Who is eligible For Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP)?
To make quality generic medicines available at an affordable cost to everyone, Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) was launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals and Fertilizers, Government of India in November 2008.
● NGOs, Charitable Institutions or Hospitals, Reputed professional bodies or organizations, Private Hospitals, Societies, Self-help groups, etc., are eligible to open a new Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Kendra (PMBJK).
● Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana can only be opened by a registered doctor, registered medical practitioner, or a B.Pharm or D.Pharm degree holder.
● If you’re not from any of the categories mentioned earlier, you can hire a B.Pharm or D. Pharm degree holder to run the shop. But first, you will need to provide the pharmacist’s name registered with the state council.
● If the applicant is from the SC or ST category, they should prove vide required certificates as proof.
● The applicant should have their own space or hired space of a minimum of 120 sq feet duly supported by ownership, proper lease agreement, or space allotment letter.
What are the documents required to open Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana Kendra?
The documents required for an individual are listed below:
● To open the Kendra, one should have a license for retail drug sales in the name of Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana.
● PAN card of the person who has a licensed drug shop
● Aadhaar card of the person who has a licensed drug shop
The documents required for Institutions or NGOs, Charitable Institute Hospitals etc. are listed below:
● Aadhaar Card
● PAN card
● Certificate for Incorporation
● Registration certificate of the Institutions or NGOs or Charitable Institute or Hospitals
The documents required for Government and Government nominated. Agencies are:
● The details of the department that has allocated the space, along with supporting documents or sanction orders.
● Aadhar card
● PAN card
The application form needed is available for download on the official website of Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Yojana, along with the agreement papers.
What are the benefits of Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana?
The Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana initiative makes quality drugs available at low prices through dedicated stores selling medicines at lower prices but are equivalent in quality to expensive branded drugs. It promotes greater awareness of cost-effective medications and their prescription.
It also offers unbranded quality medicines at affordable prices through a public-private partnership. The scheme also encourages doctors, specifically government hospitals, to prescribe these medicines.
It also enables some savings in health care, particularly in the case of poor patients & those who are suffering from terrible ailments that require extended drug use.
The Salient features of Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana
● It ensures facilities for quality medicines.
● To extend the coverage of quality medicines to reduce the expenditure on medicines. Therefore, to redefine the unit cost of treatment per person.
● To create awareness about medicines through education & publicity.
● A public program should involve the Government, the PSUs, the Private Sector, the NGOs, Co-operative Bodies, and other Institutions.
● To create demand for medicines by improving facilities to better healthcare through low treatment cost & easy availability of medicines wherever needed in all medical categories.
How can we do the awareness and publicity of Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana?
● Ensure awareness and publicity in masses, on different media platforms, TV, and social media.
● The Government should also adopt an approach of speech to spread this awareness about Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana.
● A product basket should be expanded to provide a complete range of medicines to the Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Kendra.
● State health & associated government hospitals are regularly requested to open the Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi store in different government hospitals.
Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana scheme provides good quality medicines at a lower price to familiar people. Pradhan Mantri Bharatiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana scheme also provides a good source of self-employment. The number of stores for Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi has grown to 8000 and counting more than that.
More steps are needed to take to popularize the use of medicines.