Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin is a social welfare program, an initiative by the Government of India in which housing will be provided to the rural poor in India. Previously it was called Indira Awas Yojana. Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin was launched in 1985 by Jawaharlal Nehru, the then Prime Minister of India, as one of the effective principal programs of the Ministry of Rural Development to construct houses for BPL (Below Poverty Line) population in the villages.
The primary purpose of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme is to provide financial assistance to some of the weakest sections of society for them and to upgrade or construct houses of good quality for their living. The government’s vision is to replace all temporary (kutcha) houses in Indian villages by 2017. Kutcha houses are those kinds of houses in which 0,1,2 walls are kutcha with a kutcha roof.
Scheme of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin
The Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin (PMAY-G) was introduced with the view to make an encouragement of the “Housing for All” scheme. The central government came up with the idea to fulfil the ‘Housing for All’ scheme by 2022.
The main motive of the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana – Gramin scheme is to provide well-built houses with some basic facilities. Under the scheme, the beneficiary can avail of a loan of up to Rs.70,000 from financial institutions with an attractive grant of 3%. The grant-in-aid for the maximum principal amount is Rs. 2 lakh and the entire block grant for the payable EMI is Rs. 38,359.
Eligibility Criteria for Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin
Here are some categories that are automatically included under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin scheme
● The List of the kutcha house under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme is prepared based on Housing distress parameters in the Socioeconomic & caste census of 2011.
● Then, this list is confirmed by the Gram Shab has of Panchayat level. After that, they will make the deletion or addition of any household left outside the parameters of SECC 2011.
● The Kutcha houses with 0, 1, or 2 rooms with the kutcha roof are also included under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme.
● Even the households without shelter are also being covered by Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme or Pradhan Mantri Rural.
● The unprivileged or homeless people living in poverty are covered under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme.
● The Primitive tribal groups are also included under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin scheme.
● The legally released bonded labourers are covered under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin scheme.
Documents required for applying in Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin scheme
● The Aadhaar card.
● A consent document to use the Aadhaar card on behalf of the beneficiary person.
● You need the show The Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act 2005, in short MGNREGA, registered beneficiary job card number.
● The Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) number of the beneficiary person.
● The Bank Account details of the beneficiary person.
What are the benefits of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana –Gramin scheme?
The main aim of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme is to provide well-built houses with some basic facilities. It makes home loans affordable for the rural poor by offering subsidies on the Interest Rate of a home loan during repayment by way of EMI.
The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme benefits can be availed if you wish to acquire a new house from the developer or the builder and buy a house on resale. This scheme is meant for people who do not own a home and those who live in kutcha houses or houses severely damaged.
At present, the minimum size of the houses to be built under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana Gramin scheme has been increased to 25 sq. mt. from 20 sq. mt. There will also be extra financial assistance of Rs. 12,000 per beneficiary person for constructing permanent toilets to accompany each house.
Moreover, it is interesting to know that Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana also applies for upgrading a kaccha house to a well-built house under the Credit Linked Subsidy Scheme (CLSS) component. Scheduled caste, Scheduled Tribes, and Economically Weaker Sections of the society can have the desire and key beneficiaries under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme.
How to apply for the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana –Gramin scheme?
There are four sections a beneficiary person can do the registration process:
● Personal details.
● The beneficiary person’s bank account details.
● The Convergence details.
● Details from the concerned office.
For applying to the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana -Gramin scheme, the beneficiary needs to follow the given steps:
● Visit the official website to login to Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana -Gramin (pmaymis.gov.in)
● Fill in the details required in the personal details section like gender, mobile number, Aadhaar number, etc.
● Then upload the consent form required to use the Aadhaar number.
● Click on the search button to find the beneficiary person’s name, Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana -Gramin ID, and priority.
● Click on Select to Register.
● The beneficiary’s details will be automatically generated and displayed on the screen.
● Fill up the remaining beneficiary person’s details, such as ownership type, relation, Aadhaar number, etc.
● Then upload the consent form required to use the Aadhaar number on behalf of the beneficiary person.
● In the next section, add the beneficiary person’s account details in the required fields, such as the beneficiary person’s name, bank account number, etc.
● If the beneficiary person wants to avail of a loan, then select “Yes” and enter the required loan amount.
● In the next section, enter the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (MGNREGA) job card number and the Swachh Bharat Mission (SBM) number of the beneficiary person
● After that, the concerned office will fill the next section.
How to Get a Home Loan in Rural Area under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana –Gramin Scheme?
You can apply for a home loan in a rural area under the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana -Gramin scheme through both online and offline methods. To apply online, you need to visit the official website of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin(pmaymis.gov.in), fill out your details, download the application form, and print it out & submit it at the Common Service Centre(CSC).
Or else, you can also visit the Common Service Center directly or a bank with your supporting documents listed under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana -Gramin scheme. However, if you apply for a new home loan and the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana -Gramin allowance, you can calculate precisely how much your grant amount will be and how much you will save by using the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin subsidy calculator.
Some subsidy classifications of Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana – Gramin
|Class||Max exist. Household Income||MaximumSubsidy||Max. Area Subsidy on Max. Loan Interest Amount Tenure|
|MIG-2||Rs.12lakh to Rs.18 lakh||Rs. 2.30 lakh||110 sq. 3%p.a. Rs. 12lakh 20-year meter|
|MIG-1||Rs. 6lakh to Rs.12 lakh||Rs. 2.35 lakh||90 sq. 4%p.a. Rs. 9lakh 20-year meter|
|LIG||Rs. 3lakh to Rs.6 lakh||Rs. 2.67 lakh||60 sq. 6.5%p.a. Rs. 6lakh 20 year meter|
|EWS||Rs. 0lakh to Rs.3 lakh||Rs. 2.67 lakh||30 sq. 6.5%p.a. Rs. 6lakh 20-year meter|
It can be concluded that the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme has significantly impacted the lives of beneficiaries both in terms of physical facilities provided and subject well-being. Policy issues about Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin scheme convergence with other programs require significant changes.
Once a set of beneficiaries have been selected under Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana- Gramin, other facilities such as toilet, solar light, LPG, yard connection for drinking water provision, etc. from other programs (e.g., SBM-G, NRDWP, PMUY, etc.) must get arranged into a package and delivered.
This can avoid the beneficiaries having to go to every government office that implements each of these programs in terms of subjective well-being (socio-psychological well-being, on indicators such as Social Status, Self-worth, Confidence Level, Feeling of Ownership, Feeling of Safety & Security, Self-perceived Improvement in Health, Overall Quality of Life, and Satisfaction with the New House, we find the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana -Gramin beneficiaries feel much better, compared to the Comparison Group.